Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Maggies Corner: I am Lucky

I am lucky...

Those are truly the words that came to mind when I toed the line for the 4th time in Kona (it was quickly followed by: "Oh $h!t, this is going to hurt"...!!!). And I believe that indeed, I am a lucky gal.

Some of you might disagree with me. You might say that I have worked hard to be able to race in Kona, that I have put in the time, efforts, made sacrifices to be able to race there. It is certainly true, but I never want to take this for granted.

The truth is... I am lucky on so many levels. I would not been able to race if it were not for my "team". I have understanding friends who know that I have to go to bed at 8:30 on Saturday nights, that I need to skip that glass of wine this time again. I am also lucky to have great training partners who push me every time, to be the best I can be. Friends who will cheer me up, be there for harder workouts, pick me up when I'm down, and even leave me water and treats on my running route, to make sure I am well fueled. I have a great team indeed!

I am lucky to have family that supports me , and even fly to see me race. My 80 y/o dad have not missed one Kona and even wanted to book his hotel right away for 2015.... (I think they secretly enjoy the Mai Tai, macademia nuts and Onu fish!!!) Most importantly, I am lucky to have a life partner who understands the demands of my training, and still enjoys my company when I am half asleep after eating for two, too sore or too tired to do anything but watch tv. He still cleans my bike, maintains it, makes my smoothies and cook dinner for me.

I have the chance to be healthy for the required training, with little to no injury. My body has been resilient in taking the beating, year after year. I am still passionate about my sport and my training/racing mates, and cannot wait for the next season. I am lucky I am still motivated to do it again.

Don't get me wrong. Many days I want to call it quits. The demands of the sports are sometimes too hard to handle. I do have to put in the time and sweat equity into it, but I do not take for granted to chance I have to represent my country at the World Championships. The day I will stop wanting to push myself, is the day that I will have to quit my sport.

For all those reasons, I stay grounded and continue to believe that I am indeed...lucky :)

Thanks everyone for your support!

Next Maggie's Corner will be all about the off-season Do's and Don'ts !!! Everything in moderation :)

Stay Healthy !

No comments:

Post a Comment