Monday, December 15, 2014

Featured Member: Jenny Roberge

Triathete with a Cause
By Jenny Roberge

At first I did it for myself, but I later realized that it was bigger than me. (Pardon the pun).
In early 2006 I was 5’ tall and weighed 285 pounds.
I think even as a child I was a bit heavy, but it gradually got out of control. I would diet for a while, but then gain it back again. I realized that with the lack of exercise, and poor eating habits I was on a path of self-destruction both physically and emotionally. I decided enough is enough!
I started a strict diet, and began exercising. As I started seeing results, I became even more motivated. In 6 months, I had lost 100 pounds. Exercise was becoming easier. I bought a bike, and was commuting to and from work on it. I was exercising on a home treadmill, and the weight was still coming off. I remember looking at myself in the mirror and thinking, “I can’t believe this is me”. I was feeling happier, and even had more confidence in my career as an x-ray technician. I joined the local YMCA and was meeting other healthy people who were giving me even more inspiration.
I noticed a couple of people who had a similar unique tattoo on their calf muscle. When I asked what that represented they said it was the Mdot that meant they had done an Ironman. At the time, I thought they were crazy.
By 2007 I was down to 125 pounds, and I thought I could handle my first sprint triathlon. I was immediately hooked. I then decided I was going to be one of the crazies who attempted the long course.
In 2008, I completed my first IM triathlon in Wisconsin. Maybe my motivation was out of control, but I had to keep going. I have since done 5 full Ironman’s. I represented Team USA in long course world championships in Henderson NV. What a thrill it was competing on the world stage! I have also done more other triathlons than I can keep track of.
In the off season, (just to stay in shape mind you) I run marathons. I have done about a dozen so far (including Boston).
I realised that a person doesn’t have to go to the extremes that I have to have fun with the sport and get or stay healthy
When I see overweight people, I sympathize with them and wish that they would experience the heathier life style that I now have. I am sometimes asked about my diet, or training plan and I am more than happy to help.
Fellow runners and triathetes have inspired much of my transformation and being affilated with that athletic peer group keeps me challenging myself to stay healthy.
I believe that the athletic community and I can inspire and influence people into staying or becoming more fit and healthy.
I am living proof that lives can be transformed through fitness I am proud to share my story as an example in an effort to be an inspiration to others.
I want to make a difference, and fitness is my platform.
     
     Me as a couch potato


       Me as a triathlete





No comments:

Post a Comment