Sunday, August 30, 2015

Featured Member - Kevin Schleicher



Tell us about yourself - I am from Cedarburg, WI (near Milwaukee) and moved to La Crosse for university 8 years ago. I stayed active throughout college with intramural sports and hiking but found a void in competition after completing my degrees in 2012. Triathlons and other endurance races have become a big hobby in my life over the past few years.

How long have you been doing triathlons/How did you get started. - I started doing triathlons in 2014 by throwing myself into Lake Neoshonec without a wetsuit and making my way to a nearly dead last finish out of the water. But don't worry, the bike and run went much better! In my second season, I've seen a big improvement.

What is your favorite distance? - I've only done one Sprint and one Olympic so far but I've enjoyed both distances. I've sprinkled in a few duathlons and half marathons into my schedule as well.

What have you done and what is coming up for the 2015 season? - I completed my first Olympic this year and improved in both my swim and biking pace drastically. Thankfully the YMCA Master's swim class refined my swimming technique over winter. I'm looking at doing one more half marathon and possibly the Devils Lake Challenge in September. Winter will involve lots of swim and bike training while I look towards doing a HIM.

What is your favorite discipline? - It varies to be honest. I used to favor biking the most, but I tend to really enjoy the discipline that I'm training the most at the time. Seeing improvement makes the sport fun!

What is your favorite race? Why? - The GOT energy sprint is my favorite because it was my first race. I was hooked from the start.

What are your plans going forward? - Training as hard as I can to do a HIM next year. I'm a newlywed that recently bought a house so finding a balance in training and other parts of life have been interesting. I want to make sure my wife knows she's number #1 and training is #2. :)

What else would you like to share? - I'm happy to continue growing in this fun sport and I appreciate the comradely that bluffbusters offer. It really helps me push myself to become better at triathlons!

No comments:

Post a Comment