Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Maggie's Corner - Tribute to The Boys

Tribute to The Boys

They have known me for several years. They have seen me during my good
days, bad days, at my fittest, and also during my slowest. They have
witness/endure my crankiness at times, see me when I'm hungry, or
worst, "hangry" (bad combination of angry and hungry). And I hardly
see My Boys with anything on by speedos.

My Boys, as I affectionately call them, are my swimming partners and
the main reason I get out of bed at 4:30am. We have been swimming
together for years, sometimes several times per week. They have pushed
me to get fitter, I have pushed them, but we have also laughed
together and swore a few times. We rarely see each other outside the
formality of the YMCA pool, but knowing they will be there in the
morning, make me want to join in and get in a good workout...but I
also enjoy and look forward to their company and friendship. In turn,
it makes those 5am swim workouts so much easier to go through. We
celebrate our races, successes, but also work stories, family stories,
etc. They see me at my highs and lows and don't judge...as long as I
make the interval.

Once again, my sport of swim-bike-run has open the door to not only
fitness and races but also to a great web of friends that I cherish
and that are important to me. Their familiar faces, their caring
thoughts, encouraging words and also their tough love at times not
only help me getting fitter but also brighten my day. And even my
partner Kent will ask me: "so...how was the swim with The Boys this
morning...?"

This is my tribute to My Boys, my friends, my swimming partners, my
accomplices. I thank you :)

Next time you struggle during a workout, just think of all the
wonderful people you've met because of this sport.

Stay Healthy,

Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment